This software was my only entry for Nokia Calling All Innovators competition ended on June 10th, 2010.
The key idea of this software is to allow users to submit reports about events that occurred around them and let others who visit the area know about it in realtime.
This way users can avoid high crime areas as well as visit close by attractions.
It would not be wrong to say that this is sort of wikipedia for real life events using mobile technology.
How it works
This software allows users to report an event that they have just witnessed via their phone. Each such report gets tagged with location information of the phone. This doesn’t only mean GPS but also includes using Network(CellID).
The software also pulls realtime events surrounding the user, again by taking the users’ location. Events can be of types Crime, News or Attractions like Sports/Concerts.
Threat Level Analysis/Calculation
Most interesting feature of this software is the Crime threat analysis based on user submitted reports. This is somewhat important for big cities like where crime rate is high. The system uses a simple algorithm by taking crimes that occurred within 5 km of user’s location to calculate an approximate threat level of that area.
The age, severity of crime, time of day, all participate in calculating the threat level.
Threat Levels go between Low, Medium, High and Critical.
What is Event type “Attractions”?
The rest of software is about attractions like Sports, Concerts, Book Sales etc which is shown on users’ map.
- A full set of Web API will be provided to allow other websites/softwares to integrate.
- Integration with facebook to add it as an app.
- Better analysis of crimes and possible prediction
- Create a service out of it and a possible business around it.
The software makes use of following APIs
- Nokia Location Services API
- Qt GUI and Core library
- Qt Network services for HTTP communication
- Google Maps
- Database on remote server using MySQL
- Python+django based webservice
- WebKit using QtWebKit wrapper to display map and other html retrieved from server